Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fuzzy Buzzy Limoncello

A couple months back I posted about some of my boozy infusions...Blueberry Vodka.  Cherry Bounce.  Raspberry Liqueur.  A couple are still doing their boozy thing, holding tight for holiday time, when they should come right into prime time.



But after two months of infusing, my Honey Limoncello was ready to shine.


I strained the lemons out, and ran it thru cheesecloth.  Gorgeous.  Then I placed the lemons and water in a pan over medium heat and mashed the hell out of them, extracting more pulp and lemony goodness, and strained the liquid into the liqueur.



Next I added a simple syrup made with honey, and poured into the cutest flask jars.


Now, full disclosure on how I achieved this deliciousness.  There are many recipes out there for limoncello.  Past experience has produced an overly sweet liqueur, too over-powering to consume.  Just not good.  I am happy to report this process was a happy mistake.  When mixing everything together, I had forgotten that I doubled the recipe when infusing the lemons, and only made a single batch of the honey simple syrup (roughly 1 cup honey simmered in 1 cup water).  The result was delightful, and those who have tried it concurred, so I think I have a winner.  This produced a dozen flasks, which are stored in the fridge for gift-giving time.  Assuming it lasts that long. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment